Sunday 30 January 2011

Progress and Responsibilites

My main responsibility for the project was to focus on the editing. To edit some of the video and to see what fits where. Although my main job in editing was to work with the titles and to time them in accordance to the video. Other jobs i have had was to help with the pitch, to come up with ideas of what types of shots to use and the mise-en-scene in those shots, help with the story and what we wanted to say from our opening sequence and to help with some research for the group as well as do some of my own for the jobs that were given to me.

I have watched many different opening sequences of different genres of thrillers and tried to match which genre would fit best with the story made for our opening sequence. Although films were not my only inspiration, i also analyzed a couple of opening sequences from television shows, and although the openings on television usually differ greatly when compared to openings of film (the titles are usually shown after the episode has already begun) there were a couple of shows i found which had amazing opening sequences;

Six Feet Under


Dexter


These two were my favorite examples of television openings, probably because I've seen the shows. Six Feet Under, a show about death. One could instantly associate the show with death from the title alone but the opening adds finesse to the title.
Dexter was also a good inspiration for me although it took a while for me to deduce why that opening sequence was used for a show like that. Pretty much everything Dexter does on his 'night' job is shown in the opening sequences, only less viciously, by using an everyday morning routine.

Of course this doesn't mean I've been neglecting film openings, that is our main aim. I have looked at different film openings from the thriller genre and some from outside the thriller genre to see the difference between thrillers and other genres and to know what to put in a thriller opening sequence and what not to put. A couple of opening sequences which caught my eye were 'The Number 23.' I thought both the movie and opening sequence went well together and that the message of the movie was clearly shown in the opening sequence, as well as making it frightening.


My first idea was to actually make an opening sequence similar to this, but the idea was shelved as the opening sequence was to include video footage (unless you were amazingly skilled at making opening sequences without footage).

No comments:

Post a Comment